Get 5% Off Your Order Today, Use Coupon Code "WELCOME" At The Checkout

The ingredients used to make most e-liquids are well known and have often been used in food production. The majority of each juice is made from a base of Propylene Glycol or Vegetable Glycerin along with flavourings and sometimes nicotine.

But how are these ingredients blended together to produce the finished e-liquids that so many of us enjoy?

There are popular misconceptions that claim we don’t know what goes into each e-liquid or how they are manufactured. But that is completely untrue and in reality there is no mystery to where e-liquid come from. And in the UK every e-liquid available for sale needs to be approved and regulated by the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency.

So, we know exactly what goes into every e-liquid and how they are made.

The process itself isn’t too complicated and is similar in many ways to how ingredients are combined when manufacturing food or drink. The base of Propylene Glycol or Vegetable Glycerin is mixed together with the various flavourings and sometimes nicotine until they form the final, stable e-liquid.

Manufacture and sale of e-liquids is closely regulated in the UK. As a result the manufacturing process is carried out in high quality facilities that must meet the required standards.

By law, a list of all ingredients used is printed on the packaging of any juice you buy in the UK. So, you can easily see what goes into your e-liquid just like with any food or drink.

Understanding how e-liquids are manufactured is a matter of knowing what these ingredients are and the regulations controlling them.

The Ingredients

Propylene glycol

PG, or propylene glycol is the most common base used to make e-liquids. Each juice is typically 95% base made from a combination of PG and VG with the remaining 5% made of flavouring and often nicotine.

PG is almost odourless, colourless and has a low viscosity unlike the thicker Vegetable Glycerin. As well as being one of the main ingredients in e-liquids, PG is also used in foods and medicines.

E-liquids with higher levels of PG generally have greater flavour intensity and throat hit. High PG juices are also thinner than ones with heavier VG and produce less dense clouds.

While PG is commonly used in foods, medicines and is generally safe, there are rare cases of people developing mild allergic reactions. If you’re vaping with a PG based e-liquid and experience rashes, itchiness or slight swelling of the throat then it is recommended that you stop and use VG based e-liquids instead.

Vegetable glycerin

VG, or vegetable glycerin is the second most common base used in producing e-liquids. Each juice typically contains 95% base made from a combination of PG and VG with the remaining 5% made of flavouring and often nicotine.

VG is naturally occurring and often extracted from vegetable oils. Like PG it is almost odourless and colourless but has a sweet taste and is thicker, with a higher viscosity than PG. Being thicker means that e-liquids with a high VG base are more prone to build ups of gunk when vaping.

E-liquids with higher levels of VG also produce thicker clouds and are usually associated with a sweet flavour. VG is used in the food industry as a sweetener and has never been linked with any health problems.

Flavourings

There are a huge number of flavourings used to create e-liquids. Take a look at the selection of juices available from the Medusa Juice Vape Store and you’ll see just how many varieties there are to choose from. Every one of these flavours is created by blending together different flavouring ingredients.

These flavourings come in the form of additives that have been safely used in food production for years. While not every food flavouring is safe to inhale, the vaping industry in the UK is regulated to ensure that only acceptable flavourings are used in any e-liquid sold in this country.

Nicotine

The final ingredient is often nicotine, the addictive chemical found in tobacco that makes smoking so difficult to quit.

Not every e-liquid contains nicotine and there are a variety of popular non-nicotine juices to choose from. But nicotine is a common ingredient in many e-liquids and can be used to help people quit smoking like other nicotine replacement systems. Nicotine also adds to the throat hit that makes vaping an effective substitute for smoking.

Nicotine itself is arguably not as harmful as many of the other chemicals associated with smoking which can cause cancer, heart disease and lung disease. Nicotine is an addictive stimulant and while it is toxic in very high quantities, the levels found in e-liquids are nowhere near that high and are lower than in cigarettes.

Manufacturing

The manufacturing process by which e-liquids are made in the UK is similar to how many popular drinks are created in factories. Each juice is developed in a laboratory with a final recipe that must be approved by the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency.

This recipe is then manufactured by taking a base of Propylene Glycol and Vegetable Glycerin which is mixed with the appropriate flavourings and sometimes nicotine. After they’ve been blended together, these ingredients form a stable liquid which is then sealed in tamper-proof and child-proof bottles for sale.

Regulations

Manufacture and sale of e-liquids is closely regulated in the UK and follows the Tobacco Products Directive, a set of rules for vaping products in Europe.

In the UK every juice and vaping product has to be approved by the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency before sale. As a result of this regulation, the manufacturing process is required to take place in high quality facilities. And all e-liquids must meet the requirements of the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency before they are allowed on sale in the United Kingdom.

heisenburg e liquid
Athena Dr Blue + 4 Items
Bought by a Customer from Whitminster
about 1 hour ago
 
Nemesis Watermelon + 9 Items
Bought by a Customer from Abertillery
about 1 hour ago
 
Ribe Vibe + 2 Items
Bought by a Customer from Dudley
about 2 hours ago
 
Pink Lady + 9 Items
Bought by a Customer from narborough
about 9 hours ago
 
silver tobacco e liquid
Hestia Silver Tobacco + 2 Items
Bought by a Customer from Hither Green
about 20 hours ago